Saturday, February 28, 2009

I have found Redneck Mecca. And it was GOOD!



I had the opportunity to spend a night this week at The Florida Strawberry Festival. It was just like the Harrington Fair except with strawberries. Of course, everyone from Delaware knows that the Harrington Fair is only called the Delaware State Fair by those either a)from above the canal or b)foreigners. And those from above the canal may as well be foreigners because they really belong to Philly and just don't know it.



I got to see Larry Gatlin in concert and it was FANTASTIC! One of my all time favs. I saw them last about 18 years ago, so it was good to see them again. Wonderful entertainers.



As we walked around, I began feeling more and more at home. Plenty of camo, boots, hats with fishing hooks-- the whole shebang. Teenage girls in hot pants and cowboy boots. Yep-- these are my people!



My husband seems to think Brad Paisley's song 'Waitin' on a Woman' was written about him. He says he's always drivin' me or waitin' on me. I don't really see the problem.



He was waiting for me outside the Ladies room at the Festival and was mindin' his own, apparently. A older man walked by him and he thought, "Oh my goodness, that's BOBBY ALLISON"! He greeted him and shook his hand. When I came out, he was on cloud nine! He was ecstatic! I guess waitin' on me ain't so bad after all. He got to meet Nascar Royalty. All because of me and my bladder. Thank you. Thank you very much.



We kept walking around-- lots of food stalls and I didn't eat ONE thing. I was thrilled with myself. The choice wasn't great. Anything you wanted-- on a stick. Fried bologna -- on a stick. Strawberry Shortcake-- on a stick. Anything you wanted, it'd have a stick stuck in it.



I wanted to go to the livestock barns because I miss home and the animals. My husband took this opportunity to remind of one of my less finer moments in life.



See, it went like this:



We were at the Fair in about 1981. I saw the Swine Barn and said, 'Oh! Swine! I want to see them!' I didn't really notice the look of disgust on my husbands face. Didn't matter-- I was on a mission.



We went through, me pushin' the stroller. Trooper that Darrell was, he followed along. About halfway through the barn, which was full of nuthin' but pigs, I turned to him and said, 'Where are the birds?'



He said, 'What birds?' I said, 'The swans. Where are they?'



He almost fell in the mud. He laughed the rest of the way through the barn, which was long and had a door only at the ends-- no other way out.



Swans. Swine. Isn't that the plural? Hey, what do I know? I'm from Georgetown. A city girl.

We didn't go in the barns.



Anyway, after that we went to the concert. We sat there for a few minutes, and then a group of people sat down right smack behind us. Darrell says, 'Mr. Allison, are you following me?'



Yep, Bobby again. They talked for probably a half hour and Darrell was over the moon. They talked racing and family and everything. He had a great time.



I bought a half-flat of strawberries because-- hey! The are ripe now where I live! :-) Today I was hulling what was left of them and found an interesting one.



Vick, this is one is for you :-)




















Katie and I named it the 'Butt Berry'. It reminded me of a little thing we came up with years ago? Remember "AITF"? This berry reminded me of that.

Sorry folks, inside joke, never to be explained in public. Vick understands. :-) We ain't talkin' about All In The Family either.

No comments: